Has anyone ever told you that your mouth is the gateway to your body? Well, it’s true! Anything you do that involves your mouth — eating, drinking, breathing, chewing, brushing, flossing — has a direct effect on every system in your body. It follows, then, that keeping your mouth healthy and clean is an important factor in keeping your body healthy as well.
A Healthy Mouth is Essential to a Healthy Body
You Have the Power
The best way to ensure that your mouth stays healthy is to practice good oral hygiene at home and visit Chichetti & Patel Dental Wellness regularly for professional cleanings and examinations. Regular dental cleanings and exams only enhance your home hygiene routine and increase the likelihood that you will catch any potential problems early, while they are easily treatable.
What to Expect
If you have never had a professional dental cleaning and exam or it has been a few years since your last visit to the dentist, you may not know about the latest advancements in technology that make getting a cleaning and exam easier and more comfortable than ever before — from digital X-rays, which are safer, faster, and far more accurate than traditional film X-rays, to state-of-the-art cleaning instruments that safely eliminate plaque and tartar buildup in a flash.
Here is what to expect with a basic examination and cleaning:
- Your hygienist will welcome you and take you back to the exam room, where you can get comfortable. We encourage you to bring headphones, a blanket, a neck pillow, a plushy, or anything else that will help you stay relaxed during your cleaning and exam.
- Before the cleaning starts, your hygienist will ask you some routine questions to learn more about your health and any concerns you are having with your teeth or mouth. At this point, if you haven’t had dental X-rays in the past 12 months, your hygienist will use our digital equipment to take images of your teeth and the inside of your mouth.
- If this is your first time with us or it has been many years since your last examination, your hygienist will explain what they will be doing during your cleaning to ensure you know what to expect and feel comfortable with every step.
- Now it’s time for the cleaning. Your hygienist will use special instruments that gently and effectively remove plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth and along the gumline. They will also check your gums and note any potential problem areas they encounter while cleaning your teeth. Once your teeth are smooth and clean, your hygienist will use a special polishing compound to make them gleam. The final step in your cleaning is a thorough flossing.
- Once your teeth are clean and sparkling, your dentist will come in and check your teeth, gums, and mouth, explain what your X-rays show, and talk to you about anything that might be concerning. If there are any signs of decay, gum disease, unusual wear, or bone loss, any chipped or cracked teeth, or anything else that could be problematic, your dentist will tell you and recommend treatment options.
- After you and your dentist have discussed the results of your examination and your personalized treatment plan, your hygienist will come back and quickly apply a special fluoride treatment to your teeth that will help fortify your tooth enamel.
- All that is left to do now is schedule any follow-up appointments and your next cleaning and exam appointment.
After a dental cleaning and hygiene examination, you will leave our office feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
Please Don’t Put Off Routine Dental Care
Dr. Joe Chichetti and Dr. Reena Patel provide dental cleanings and exams to help you maintain good oral health. This routine preventive care is crucial to keeping your smile healthy and free from dental problems.
To make an appointment with one of our dentists and learn more about dental cleanings and exams in Charlotte, North Carolina, call Chichetti & Patel Dental Wellness at 704-233-3430.